Courtesy of GoGriffs.com
Canisius head men’s basketball coach Reggie Witherspoon announced Tuesday that Marcale Lotts (New Orleans, La.) has joined the Golden Griffins’ roster for the 2017-18 season. Lotts played two seasons at Jacksonville College in Texas, and he has two years of eligibility remaining at Canisius.
Lotts, who will wear jersey No. 11 for the Golden Griffins, will be one of six newcomers on the Griffs’ roster for the upcoming season. A 6-foot-8, 230-pound forward, Lotts played his junior college ball at the same school that produced former Griffs guard Kiefer Douse.
Marcale Lotts | 6-8 | 230 | F | New Orleans, La. | Jacksonville College | Akins High School
• Played 23 games and made 18 starts for Jacksonville College in 2016-17.
• Averaged 6.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for the Jaguars. Ranked second on the team by shooting 55.5 percent from the floor.
• Scored career-high 17 points to go along with eight boards against Navarro College. Was credited with two double-double efforts last season, including 15-point, 13-rebound performance against Louisiana Christian Prep.
• Was a two-year starter at Akins High School in New Orleans. Earned all-state honors in addition to being named the team’s MVP and top-defensive player.
• Finished his scholastic career averaging 12 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks per contest.
Witherspoon on Lotts: “Marcale comes to us as an upperclassman who will benefit us from a maturity aspect in addition to what he brings to the basketball court. He has good size and we are hoping that he will come in and help us establish more depth across our frontline.”
Griffs Add Home Date for 2017-18
Witherspoon also announced on Tuesday that the Griffs have added a regular-season game to the 2017-18 slate, as the Blue and Gold will play host to Elon on Tuesday, Dec. 19 in the Koessler Athletic Center. Game time is set for 7 p.m. Canisius and Elon have met twice previously, with the most recent contest coming in the second round of the 2013 Preseason NIT.
Canisius, which finished the 2016-17 season with an 18-16 overall record and played in the 2017 CIT, will officially open the 114th season in program history on Saturday, Nov. 11, when the team plays at Buffalo.